PhD in Materials Science
In academic year 2009-2010, a new postgraduate teaching regulation was passed as per Royal Decree 1393/2007 of 29 October. The aim of this new regulation was to develop the structure of the aforementioned courses according to the general guidelines issued by the European Higher Education Area (EHEA)
In the specific case of the PhD in Materials Science, these new regulations caused the former programme (Doctoral Programme in Materials Science-1998, RD 778/1998) to become extinguished, and a new doctoral programme to be established in 2009-2010 (Doctoral Programme in Materials Science-2007, RD 1393/2007). This new Doctoral Programme received a Quality Award in 2004 (MCD2004-0323).
Since academic year 2009-2010, new students cannot register in PhD courses belonging to the former Doctoral Programme in Materials Science-1998, RD 778/1998. Students who had already started their studies in said Doctoral Programme in academic year 2009-2010 may continue their PhD training by choosing one of the following options:
- To continue their education as per RD 778/1998, in which case they must defend their thesis before 30 September 2015. From that date on, the Doctoral Programme in Materials Science-1998, RD 778/1998 will become extinguished.
- The deadline for candidates to take the Research Profficiency Assessment Panel is 30/09/2015.
- To transfer to the new Doctoral Programme in Materials Science-2007 and complete their studies as per RD 1393/2007. In such cases, title approval will not be necessary in EHEA countries, but to transfer to this programme students will need the Advanced Studies Diploma.
On 10/02/2011, the new regulations for Doctoral Studies were published in the Official Gazette of the Government of Spain, more specifically in Royal Decree 99/2011. The University Institute of Materials has submitted a proposal to adapt its Doctoral Programme in Materials Science to the new regulations, which is currently under verification. RD 99/2011 sets forth a series of deadlines for students from old Doctoral Programmes to defend their theses:
- Deadline for students who started their studies in academic year 2010-2011 or before: 11/02/2016.
- Deadline for studies who started their studies in academic year 2011-2012 onwards: 29/09/2017.
All information on the Doctoral Programme in Materials Science is available on this link: